Tips on how to recalibrate a relationship in flux.
- Meditate or write in your journal to work out your true feelings about the change.
- If applicable, try to ‘match’ the change; do something that lifts you attitudinally, physically or psychologically.
- Get out of the rut of talking about the same things and pick new conversations. Author, Terri Orbuch, advocates the daily ‘10-minute rule’. In this time, you’re not allowed to talk about work, ‘life admin’, your children or relationship.
- Listen without interrupting.
- Don’t expect one person to fulfil all your relationship needs; female friendships are particularly important to women.
- Note why you’re grateful for the relationship/person.
- Express concerns as they come up; don’t let them fester.
- Let go of the view of what your relationship ‘should’ be, and see what it ‘could’ be.
Get more advice about your relationships here.