1. A few minutes a day concentrating mindfully on your breathing can help strengthen the part of your brain that helps you stay focused.
2. Stay positive. Positivity widens your attention span and fuels your drive to reach your goals and desires.
3. Manage your stress levels, as feeling stressed reduces our ability to stay focused.
4. Exercise, get a good night’s sleep and eat meals high in protein, which fuel our brains steadily.
5. Sip small amounts of your morning coffee over a longer period to prevent a spike, then a crash, in attention levels.
Focus: The Hidden Driver Of Excellence by Daniel Goleman (Bloomsbury, £11.99) is out in paperback now
Sign up for our Life Labs Practical Wisdom online course Achieve Your Goals here
Read Do you have enough self-discipline? on LifeLabs