We might be more familar with white potatoes, but purple or blue potatoes which also originated in South America, tend to be less waxy and are sweeter than white-fleshed potatoes. They're also packed with even more antioxidants and flavonoids that either white potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Blue potatoes are great for baking and mashing, or you can turn your every day frittata into a mosaic with these beauties. You won't find these in the supermarket – but online marketplace Farmdrop can supply them.
BLUE POTATO FRITTATA
Time: 45 mins
- 5 potatoes peeled and quartered
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 6 eggs
- 100g cheddar, grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pan of salted water up to the boil, cook potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain and leave to cool slightly before cutting into cubes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and fry bacon until crispy. Add diced potatoes and red onions and cook on a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Beat the eggs, add in half the cheddar. Season. Pour the eggs over the bacon and potatoes. Stir gently in the pan for a few mins, allowing the frittata to cook over a very low heat until it begins to set.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and warm under the grill until the top has set and the cheese melted. Cut the tortilla into wedges to serve.
Ingredients and recipe from Farmdrop.co.uk. Farmdrop is an online marketplace that lets people buy fresh food direct from local farmers and producers, ensuring they receive a fair price for their produce. For more information about the service, go to farmdrop.co.uk