For base sauce:
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 medium onions
3 garlic cloves
15g fresh ginger
15g fresh turmeric
½ scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
250g ripe baby plum tomatoes
For roasted sweet potato:
2 medium orange-flesh sweet potatoes
1 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tin cooked black beans
1. Finely dice the onions and set aside. Deseed and finely slice the scotch bonnet pepper. Wash your hands after handling the pepper as it stings if you accidentally rub your eyes!
2. Crush the garlic, ginger, turmeric and sliced scotch pepper into a paste along with salt in a pestle and mortar (or equivalent).
3. In a large pot, fry the onions in the oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper paste, cumin and smoked paprika, then fry for another 5 minutes over a medium-low heat.
4. Dice the fresh plum tomatoes, then add them to the pan. Stir thoroughly. Turn to a low heat, and simmer for 15 minutes to meld flavours
5. For sweet potatoes, peel if you like, then cube in thumbnail sized pieces. Season with salt, smoked paprika and black pepper the roast for 20 minutes on 220ºC
6. Drain black beans, and then add to mixture along with roasted sweet potato cubes.
For more on the Groundnut founders Duval Timothy, Folayemi Brown and Jacob Fodio Todd or to buy their cookbook, go to thegroundnut.co.uk