In partnership with Efamol
For more than 25 years, Efamol has conducted numerous clinical trials into the role of DHA and brain function . Efamol was a pioneer in discovering the importance of DHA for brain health, especially in children. Your brain is mostly made up of fat, with DHA being the most abundant omega-3 fatty acid, making up to 50 per cent of the fatty acids in some brain cells. It forms the outer structure of your cells and has consistently been found to play a unique role in normal brain development  and function . Along with the structural role that DHA plays in the brain, it is also involved in cell signalling, which is how your brain cells communicate with each other.
Efamol’s range is developed for brain health throughout life
Pregnancy and early years
DHA is beneficial from the foetal stage as the brain develops . It accumulates in the brain throughout infancy. During pregnancy and breastfeeding, a mother’s diet and body stores provide the foetus and baby with DHA for normal brain development. Mothers need to obtain enough DHA to support their own needs and those of the developing child .
High strength omega-3:
- Suitable for babies from six months and young children.
- A great choice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Easy to mix into food, with a natural lemon flavour.
- 1ml daily contains 400mg of DHA, which helps support normal brain function and vision .
Brain DHA levels continue to increase throughout childhood and adolescence, developing faster than at any other stage.
New connections between the brain and nerve cells are made in response to new experiences and environments. This constant change of brain networks helps with the development of visual, attentional and motor skills, cognition and language.
Omega-3 fish oil and omega-6 evening primrose oil:
- Easy-to-swallow capsules, suitable for children aged five-plus (and the whole family).
- High-strength DHA to help support normal brain function and vision .
- Contains AA – the second most abundant fat in the brain.
Brain development continues into early adulthood and, to support brain function, DHA continues to be needed. The brain breaks down small amounts of DHA daily, so a good dietary intake of DHA remains important across the lifespan, particularly for its role in both vision and brain function . Combined with EPA, it plays an important role in the function of the heart .
800mg of omega-3 DHA + EPA:
- Suitable for adults, this ultra-strength formula is one of the strongest on the UK market, containing 800mg of DHA + EPA.
- Suitable for use during pregnancy.
- DHA supports normal brain function and vision .
- DHA + EPA support normal function of the heart .
As you age, there are changes to your brain chemistry, its size and structure. Your brain begins to shrink after the age of 40 at a rate of around five per cent every 10 years and possibly even faster after the age of 70. Studies suggest that an adequate amount of DHA is important for the health of the adult brain and contributes to brain function as you age.
For maintenance of brain function:
- Developed for the maintenance of brain function in adults.
- High in DHA, which supports normal brain function .
- Vitamin B12 and folic acid support normal psychological function.
- Ginkgo biloba helps maintain memory with age decline.
25% off all Efamol® Omega 3 Range at Boots. Click here for details.
Food supplements are intended to supplement the diet and should not be used as a substitute for a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. 1.250mg of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) daily contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function and normal vision. 2. Maternal intake of DHA contributes to the normal brain development of the foetus and breastfed infants. The beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 200mg of DHA in addition to the recommended daily intake of 250mg DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). 3.250mg of DHA and EPA daily helps support the normal function of the heart. * Offer is until 19 October 2021. Exclusions apply. Subject to availability.
Photograph: Getty Images