If you’re desperate for spa-grade relaxation but short on the pennies or time, here’s how to replicate a haven of health and healing in the comfort of your own home.
1. Find the time. Work out how much time you can spare for your ‘spa time’ and remove all distractions. Whether this means switching off your phone or sending your family packing, free up a little time just for yourself so you know you won’t be disturbed.
2. Set the scene. A fluffy robe, sumptuously soft slippers, low lighting and a few candles will go a long way to recreating the ambience of a spa. This Jo Malone Grapefruit Candle £38/200g (www.jomalone.com) is uplifting, refreshing and evocative of an exclusive spa scent. Panpipes on repeat are definitely not required but playing some background music could help you to truly bliss out.
3. Slather and scrub. One of the best things about being at home is the ability to tailor your spa treatments to exactly as you please. There are a plethora of products to choose from and you will get more than one ‘treatment’ from a bottle, making this a purse-pleasing option. Want the ultimate in exfoliation? Sink into a hot bath and slough away dead skin with this Elemis Lime and Ginger Salt Glow, £36.50/410g (www.timetospa.co.uk). Need to perk up your complexion? Slather your face in Eve Lom Rescue Mask £35/50ml (www.spacenk.com) and watch your skin glow.
4.Think natural. You can make a multitude of homemade spa products from simple ingredients found in your fridge. Slices of cucumber laid over your eyes make for a rejuvenating treat, and a homemade foot pack made from avocado will infuse dry, flaky skin with moisture.
5. Prioritise quiet time. Whether you choose to stretch, breathe or meditate, make sure you build in some time for simply sitting still.
6. Nap. Sleep is a great way to recuperate and if your body needs a rest, don’t deprive it.
7. Rehydrate. A spa treatment usually ends with a therapist handing you a glass of water and telling you to make sure you keep hydrated for the remainder of the day. Your home spa should be no different – except you’ll have to fetch your own. Try hot water with a squeeze of lemon, fresh mint tea, coconut water or a long cool glass of H20 with wedges of cucumber and lime. This will help you to flush out toxins and make you feel as clean on the inside as you do on the outside.