- Surprise your partner with something you know they love: a book by a favourite author, a candle, flowers, tickets to a sporting or musical event.
- Take the time to talk to each other and give your partner your undivided attention, listening to each other intently.
- Reminisce about how you met and the magic that was there when your relationship began – it will tend to bring the magic into the present.
- Make a list of all the things about your partner that you appreciate – and share your list with them.
- Keep to your agreements. If you say that you are going to take out the rubbish, do it. If you promise to go out for dinner, then don’t cancel the date. Over the years, more relationships have come apart due to a breach of trust than any other single thing.
Want to make your relationship better? Sarah Abell is a relationships coach and the author of Inside Out – How To Build Authentic Relationships With Everyone In Your Life (Hodder, £8.99). Find out more at nakedhedgehogs.com.