Since 60 per cent of our body composition is made up of water, it is imperative that we consistently replenish the water that is lost through natural bodily processes. It is advisable to sip water throughout the day rather than downing whole glasses rapidly.
- Boosts metabolism, facilitates digestion, transports nutrients to all the cells of the body and acceleratoes the rate at which we burn calories
- Reduces your risk of having a stroke or a heart attack. It helps to thin the blood and reduces the risk of plaque build-up and blood clots.
- Improves brain functioning, enabling you to concentrate, be alert, less fatigued and more capable of making sensible decisions. It reduces the risk of suffering from headaches, and makes you less prone to accidents.
- Keeps muscles moving and joints well lubricated and elastic, enabling you to be less susceptible to injuries, cramps and strains. It also reduces the pain levels of chronic conditions such as arthritis. Water is essential for the necessary chemical reactions and the transportation of electrolytes to enable your muscles to contract and relax smoothly.
- Plays an essential role in kidney functioning in flushing out toxins and prevents the formation of painful kidney stones, which are caused by a combination of dehydration, excess salt, fat, animal protein, alcohol and sugar intake.
- Prevents cravings for snacks and has been shown to reduce food consumption at meals if a glass of water is drunk 15 minutes before meal times. In this way, it helps with weight control and obesity prevention
- Often improves skin tone and protects against premature skin-ageing.
- Boosts the immune system (cold water), facilitates relaxation and helps reduce stress (warm water), and helps to discharge toxins (steam).
Extract from Well-being: A Practical Guide by Patrica Furness-Smith (Icon Books, £6.99)
All profits from Belu Water are given to WaterAid. If you spot Belu in your favourite restaurant or want to order it next time you visit, email firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on Belu Water's Facebook page. You could win £100-worth of Jamie's Italian vouchers.