Last updated 21 October 2015.
KELSEY MEDIA ('Kelsey' or 'we') is commited to protecting your personal information when you are using our website and applications (our 'services'). We strive to make our services safe and enjoyable environments for you to use.
Whenever you provide personal information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 1998.
We will collect different information depending on whether you are using our websites, e-mail communications, or mobile apps and this Provacy Policy explains how we use that information and specifically:
- Types of information that we may collect about you
- How we look after your personal information
- How we use your personal information
- Sharing of your information with others
- Your rights
Note that our services frequently contain links to websites or apps that are owned and operated by third parties. These websites and apps will have their own privacy policies that govern the collection and use of your personal information which you should review separately. We cannot be held responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites - you use such websites at your own risk.
Information we may collect about you
When you sign up to our services, such as our website forums, mobile applications, regular newsletters, enter competitions, buy a magazine subscription, order products or take up a reader offer - we may ask for personal information about you. This can include information such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth. Different services may ask for different types of information.
If you are aged 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide us with your personal information. Unless you have this consent you are not allowed to give us your information.
Below you’ll find some further guidance on the information we may collect:
- Information you give to us by filling in forms on our services. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use an app or website, subscribing to any services, posting material, filling in a survey, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion and when you report a problem with our services.
- Information about the device you are using. If you download one of our apps we may collect information about the device you use to access the app, including, where available, the device’s unique identifiers, operating system, browser type and mobile network information as well as the device’s telephone number, for system administration and to report statistical information to our advertisers.
- Information about your use of our app. We may also collect information about your use of the app including what pages you look at and what areas you click, or pages you choose to engage with.
- When you use one of our location-enabled services, we may collect information about your location. You can change your mind at any time about allowing this by updating your preferences on your device.
- If you purchase something from us such as a magazine subscription or an app, we will make a record of the details of that transaction.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of this.
Security of your information
Your information will be processed by staff where it is necessary to fulfil an order, process payment details or provide you with other support services. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your information, we cannot guarantee its security and when giving us your information you do so at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We will hold your information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us. If you change your registration profile to opt-out of receiving communications from us, your record will stay on the system so we can ensure that we do not contact you in the future. If you wish to cancel your registration with any of Kelsey’s websites, you may do so by contacting us using the details available in the ‘Contacts’ section of the website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How we will use your information
We may use your information for a number of purposes including the following:
- If we need to contact you about a service you have signed up for – for example to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended.
- To contact you about a submission or contribution you have made to our websites, forums or magazines.
- To personalise or improve the way our content and advertising is presented to you online.
- We may use your IP address to identify your location, the number of visits from different countries and to block disruptive use.
- To analyse and improve the services we offer so that we can enhance your experience.
- To manage our competitions and contact the competition winners.
- To meet product orders, requests for services or information and to process payments and any other requests you make of us.
- To keep our records up to date.
- To invite you to participate in surveys about our services (participation will always be voluntary).
- Where you have consented to be contacted for marketing purposes, to send you direct marketing by telephone, sms, post, email or push notification about special offers and current or new products that you may be interested in.
- To enable other people or businesses to carry out work on our behalf.
Will I Be Contacted For Marketing Purposes?
If you have opted to receive our newsletter emails we will from time to time:
- send you information about competitons, special offers, existing and new services from us; and/or
- send you information about competitions, special offers, related products or services of carefully selected third parties that we feel will be of interest to you. These communications will only ever come from us, even when they refer to third party products or services.
- You can opt out of recieving such communications from us at any time, either by choosing the unsubscribe options on the newsletters or by sending an email request to the Data Controller on email@example.com
Will We Share Your Personal Information With Anyone Else?
- We guarantee that the personal information that we collect from you will never be shared with another organisation for marketing purposes, unless you specifically agree to allow it. The permission will be made clear through a tick box on a competition or offer. The sponsor will be clearly named in the text next to the tick box and if the box is not ticked no data will be shared. If you do choose to tick the box the data will only be shared with the sponsor and will only be used by that sponsor for their own marketing purposes.
- The only exception to this is where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies). If you post or send offensive or inappropriate content anywhere on our services, or otherwise engage in any antisocial behaviour, we may use your information to stop such behaviour. In this instance we may use your information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school, e-mail or internet provider, or law enforcement agencies.
- We require all third parties with whom we share your information to treat it with the same protection we do. Unless you consent we also require that they do not use your information for their own business purposes.
In the event of any part of Kelsey Publishing Group either being sold or going into receivership, we reserve the right to continue to share your data to third parties in accordance with the latest preferences you have provided. You will be informed should any change of ownership occur, and the new owner will manage your personal information preferences.
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved photographic identification. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
The Data Controller, Kelsey Publishing LTD, Cudham Tithe Barn, Cudham, Kent. TN16 3AG Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with our response you may wish to contact the Information Commissioner via: www.ico.gov.uk/